Book Tour: The Concealing (Spirit Warriors #1) by D.E.L. Connor

The Concealing (Spirit Warriors #1)
Release Date: 11/24/13
191 pages
 
Summary from Goodreads:
Sixteen-year-old Emme Belrose has it all: four best friends, a horse of her own, a hidden tepee hangout, and a blossoming romance with tall and handsome Charlie. These friends also have a secret. They can move their spirits into animal bodies: an osprey, a mustang, a grizzly, a mountain lion and a coyote.

But when Charlie, who has a gift for seeing the future, has a vision of Emme drowning in the icy Yellowstone River, the Spirit Warriors must train their animal bodies to kill an enemy they know is coming… but know nothing about. Suspenseful, romantic, and awash in Native American magic, Spirit Warriors captures the tragic enchantment of the American West—and confirms the power of friendship.


Buy Links

 http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/spirit-warriors-del-connor/1117502216?ean=9781620151808

 
Loving a Dead Man


This is the first time I have seen these two particular women. I sit quietly in the table next to them, watching the people move in and out of the busy coffee shop. The day is overcast; the sun long ago vanished behind the clouds. A cold breeze ripples past everyone as the front door opens and closes. I close my eyes. The mood in the shop is like the weather, dark and sad.
I look down and than glance across at the women. They appear to be in their late forties or maybe even their early fifties. They are well dressed, suggesting some sort of professional job. One of the women looks a little younger than the other. I’m not at a good angle to catch the younger one’s face. The older one leans forward, her arm stretched across the table holding the other woman’s hand. I am taken aback. Are they lovers? Friends? Acquaintances?
I see the younger woman shake her head and I swear I catch a whiff of the salty smell of tears. I should be doing something. Reading, sleeping anything, but I can’t bring myself to do anything but eavesdrop. There is a newspaper lying in front of me. I pretend to read it as the women talk on. “You know it’s time,” the older woman says.
The younger one nods. “I know. At least I think I know.”
The older woman interrupts. “How many years has it been now? Ten?”
The younger one looks down. “Nine years, two months, and fourteen days.”
The older lady snorts as she sets her coffee cup down hard in the saucer. Coffee splashes on the tabletop. “Time enough to get on with your life. Are you going to be lonely your whole life?”
The younger woman replies. “I’m not lonely. I am alone. There is a difference. I don’t mind being alone.”
The other one shakes her head. “What are you thinking? I set you up with the best guy in the city. You go to dinner. He likes you. You never even return his calls. Explain to me why you won’t give him a chance?”
There is a long silence as the two women drink their coffee. Finally the younger one sighs. “I don’t even know why. He was nice, maybe too nice. Maybe I just didn’t want to hurt him. Maybe I am just broken. Maybe I can’t ever love again. I read somewhere that couples used to be physically joined together. Then the God’s cut the couples in half and put them on opposite ends of the world, and for entertainment watched them struggle to find their other half. It was the ultimate cruelty as these creatures hunted and hunted for their other half. When they finally found them, it was the most exquisite of emotions. I found my other half. I searched the world for him, and I found him. A big part of me believes that there is no other half out there for me. I had something others, even you, have never had. Why would I expect to have it again?”
The younger woman reaches in her purse and dabs her eyes with a tissue. The older one looks across the table. “Because you deserve to love and be loved again. I hate seeing the sadness behind your smile. Do you honestly think he would want you to whither away and die?”
The younger woman smiles, “I’m not exactly withering away. I stay busy. I do what I like to do. I travel. I have a job I love. What more can I ask for?”
The older woman laughs. “How about sex? You could ask for that.”
The younger woman shakes her head. “I think I forgot how it works.”
The older woman replies, “It’s like riding a bicycle you never forget.”
They both laugh. The sound is welcome in the dark space. I smile to myself.
I look up and see my friend Rafe. I wave to Rafe as he walks over to my table. He looks troubled.
“What’s up?” I ask.
Rafe shakes his head as he stands over the table. “What are you doing here?”
I am startled. “I come here a lot. You know that. Why do you care?”
Rafe stares at me. “Quit torturing yourself. She is totally off limits to you now. You know that. Walk away.”
“She will come back here to me. I know that. I’m just waiting for her.” I hiss to Rafe under my breath.
Rafe shakes his head. “It doesn’t work that way. You are just making yourself miserable. It doesn’t have to be like this. You can be happy.”
I shake my head. “Not without her.”
Rafe continues to stand in front of me. “This is the last time I will come looking for you. I’m leaving you here.” Rafe turns and leaves. I don’t care if he leaves me here. I intend to stay here until I see her. I know it was a mistake. I know she didn’t mean to say the ugly things she said to me before we parted. She was just frustrated. I know she loves me.
The women are talking again and I put my elbow on the table and rest my head on my hand.
The younger one says, “I just don’t think it is fair to any man. I mean I am fricking in love with a dead man! Who would want to compete with that? Who could compete with that?”
The older woman lays a tip on the table and stands up. “It’s up to you to live. You have the choice right now. You can live or you can shut yourself away, dreaming of the man you loved and lost. Your choice.” She pulls her purse across her shoulder, turns on her heel, and walks out the door.
The younger woman sits there for several moments staring at her cold coffee as she swirls it around and around in the cup. Several times she stops and runs her hands across a pearl necklace she is wearing around her neck. Finally, she sighs, stands up, and pushes her chair back. As she turns to get her coat, I get up and walk in front of her. I intend to tell her how sorry I am about her loss. I am trying to think of something to say when she looks up. She looks up at me and I gasp. I have finally found her! All these years later. She has finally come back to me. I reach out my arms. Her eyes are filled with tears as she walks toward me. She walks through me as I hold my arms out. She walks to the door, opens it, and pauses for a moment. She looks back at the empty table where I am standing. She wipes her eyes and pulls up the hood on her coat and walks out in the rain.
I sit down at the table. I have finally found her. She is older than I had expected, but still so beautiful. I stare at the paper on the table. I decide I will sit and wait on her. She will be back. I have time. I have nothing but time. Dead men have lots of time. I stare down at the paper and I smile. She will be back. I intend to be here when she comes back. I sit back with my arms folded, comfortable in the warm coffee shop, waiting, just waiting for our time to come again.


About the Author
Newly published author! Nature lover and bird lover. Listener of alternative bands and music. Ivan & Aloysha, Mumford & Sons, The Civil Wars, The Fossil Collective, and Ryan Star (his music seems to fit my book for some strange reason). Science fiction fan, Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, and the incredible Harry Potter! MAJOR coffee addict (don't even get me started)!

 Author Links


***GIVEAWAY***
2 print book of Spirit Warriors (US)
7 ebooks of Spirit Warriors (INT)

a Rafflecopter giveaway

 
Blog Tour Organized by:

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing my short story Loving a Dead Man. :)
    I *heart* Sweet Treat Reading Reviews!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vampire Knight Release Day Blitz

Vampire Knight Cover Reveal

Love on the Prairie Release Day Blitz